Monday, February 1, 2010

Curmudgeons and Music

I am excited that I have finally joined the blogosphere, I have gained 2 followers to bring it to a grand total of 2 followers AND got my first comment: "sounds a little curmudgeony to me". I was slightly disappointed that "curmudgeony" was what someone got from my first post, but it will spur me to try harder. I do believe that if you live in the DC suburbs or any major city's suburbs, you will at some point become curmudgeony over the traffic and lack of driving skill. Ok, moving on ...

When I got home from work today, we conducted our normal nightly routine which culminated in our daughter paying homage to her TV friend: "Caillou". I decided to mix it up and play the Grammy award Michael Jackson tribute. It was well received by our daughter. Then I moved onto a recording of a "Muse" concert at some English seaside venue. She got through a couple of songs including "Uprising" and "Starlight". However, she pressed for her favorite song, affectionately known to her as "Again"

A major reason that traffic and driving dominated my first post, is because my commute to work everyday including dropping our daughter to her grandmother's, takes about an hour each way. When I first started driving my daughter as part of the daily commute, Coldplay's album: Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends had just come out. There were two songs on the album in particular that I was able to play to calm her down if she got restless and started crying: Reign of Love/Lovers in Japan and Viva la Vida (which became known as "Again" to her). As she has gotten older, she has expanded her list of songs that will calm her down. However, "Again" is the "go to" song. I also recorded "Coldplay Live in Japan" on the Palladium channel, so she can watch "Again" at her leisure. All the songs mentioned today are available at ITunes or whatever music downloading site you are a fan of.

In future posts, I will suggest more song downloads based on my daughter's playlist as well as my own recommendations. So far, I agree with all of her choices, even the Latin beat songs she was into near her first birthday.

Next post will involve a lost cassette from the 80's in which my brother's friend Leo recorded vocals that sound very similar to a legendary American musician.

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely important to find that song that seems to have that calming effect. The problem is when you are driving two kids and their "calming" song is different and they end up fighting over which one to listen to. Nothing like sitting in traffic, preparing yourself for that important meeting later in the day, and having to listen to two kids crying/yelling at each other.

    We have had many a fight over whether we would listen to Sheryl Crow's Real Gone from the Cars movie or The Who's Baba O'Riley or The Standells Dirty Water.

    Again, check out skinsrule.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete