Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Boss and a Confession

I have a slight confession to make. After all my bitching and moaning about the drivers of this area, I think I may have committed a DLD yesterday. DLD you ask? Driving Like a Douche, yes, I was driving with my daughter to drop her off and was trying to feed her cheerios and cinnamon toast crunch while picking up her stuffed animal lamb Bernice off the ground. So, I may have been weaving a little ... within my own lane of course. So I ate some Turf and Air for dinner (a hamburger and some crow). It always seems to happen to me. I will joke or complain about something and then I will do the same thing. I hope that doesn't make me a hypocrite. Remind me to explain this in more detail, keywords will be the Wiggles and my friend Shunky's teat.

Back to business. I was talking about music in my last post. Last year, I had the pleasure of seeing 5 great musical acts. I saw Pete Yorn with Coldplay headlining, Muse with U2 headlining (twice) and Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band (nobody opens up for the Boss).
I hear a lot of people make fun of Coldplay, but the 4 guys were in a musical zone and playing very well together and therefore, put on a great show. Muse was a revelation with the best musicianship I have heard since Rush. U2 put on their consistently great show as I expected. Finally, I got to see the Boss with my younger brother. It was my second time and we were very close to the stage. I was physically spent after the concert as it is very difficult to sing along with the Boss for 3 hours. That old guy even crowd surfed during "Hungry Heart".

During the 1980's I had heard Bruce Springsteen songs and I liked them even though I didn't know who was singing them. Then, Born in the USA came out and I couldn't stand Bruce Springsteen. Around the same time my older brother would play this cassette with some awesome songs like "Blinded by the Light" (where i first learned sing the word "douche", although I later found out it was "deuce") "For You" and "Spirit in the Night". I was like, "jiminy crickets, this is some good shit" I asked my older brother who sang them and told me it was his friend Leo and his band. I believed him for a few weeks. When I found it was actually Bruce Springsteen, it led me to seek out more of his music and I have been a Bruce Springsteen fan ever since. This culminated in my first experience seeing him perform the epic "Rosalita" live. That was one of my concert wishes that I could cross off my list.

Next post will be a grab bag of stuff including office etiquette, bathrooms and movies and another confession, maybe my friend Shunky's teat too.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you didn't have to divert any more funds to see these shows.

    ReplyDelete