Sunday, February 10, 2013

What's In A Name

Thank you for the rave reviews on my last post, the first blog post in almost one year.  I feel very blessed to have so many readers that are touched by my words.

No words ...
I wanted to discuss the latest hoopla about my favorite sports team's nickname, the Redskins.  I understand that this has been controversial topic, especially for Native Americans.  I agree that the name is offensive, not only for Native Americans, but for sunburned humans all across the world.  I do think that there are plenty of other offensive team nicknames throughout sports.

I like to wear a bowtie to a football game
The city of Cleveland has offensive names for all 3 of their major sports teams.  I begin with the Cleveland Browns.  This is offensive to "Browns" like me all over the place.  Next, the Cleveland Indians.  Again, the baseball team couldn't be a little bit creative???  Then, we have the NBA team, the Cleveland Cavaliers.  Everyone knows that is offensive to all the douches in the world.


The city of Cleveland has gone through a pretty extensive championship drought.  They have come close a few times, but their last title came in 1964 before the the Football championship even became the Super Bowl.  They really need to consider changing their team names.  They are as cursed as the Redskins.

Sinead O'Connor sings ways better than Taylor Swift!
Notre Dame has another offensive nickname:  "The Fighting Irish".  Don't you think the Irish have gone through enough?  How about the Dallas Cowboys?  There have to be a handful of half cow, half boys that get made fun of and then have to live what that team name as well.  The Detroit Pistons is not very sensitive to the population groups that have to urinate often, ie, Piss a ton.  The Arizona Cardinals likely offend Catholic Cardinals who have covered up years of sexual abuse.  I bet they would like them to change the name to the Arizona Boy Scouts to deflect attention from them.  The Utah Jazz has to remind DJ Jazzy Jeff of his career arc compared to Will Smith.  I think certain men that appear on that show where Chris Hansen surprises them with a camera after posing as an underage kid, would prefer that the Nashville hockey team changed their name.

I could go on and on, but I think the point is that we should probably focus on the laundry list of terrible things that happen in the world as opposed to offensive team names.







No comments:

Post a Comment