Sunday, February 17, 2013

Driving Miss Isi

When people ask what I do for a living, I tell them that I Commute.  I have been Commuting for many years now.  If you know me at all, you would know that I really can't stand the commute in the DC area.  In fact, when I hear the phrase "death sentence was commuted by the Governor", I always think that the Governor should sentence the criminal to commuting in this area.  Definitely worse than death.

Almost five years ago, my commute got more interesting when I added Ivana to it.  I have discussed this in previous posts.  Eventually, this commute added another passenger or "Slug" for the commuting savvy.  Driving Ivana and Isla was quite an adventure.

Mercenary way is very strong at Montessori

In September of last year, Ivana started going to a Montessori school near our home (or Mercenary school, as my cousin once accidentally referred to it).  This meant it was my Isi (Isla) and me on the commute.  Now the life of a chauffer/DJ/technology consultant/flight attendant is not easy.   It takes a great degree of skill, patience, determination and a set of Go Go Gadget arms.

this ill fitting shirt looks like it belongs
on an adult in the Dumfries Walmart
As DJ, you get specific song requests, and as I have discussed in previous posts, this can be the same song over and over for the whole 40 minutes to daycare.  Listening to the theme song to Dora the Explorer 25 times in a row can make you want to use your Go Go Gadget arms to choke yourself.  Speaking of Dora, I don't understand how a girl that travels through forests and jungles with just a talking monkey and a lot of expensive tools at her disposal can't afford to get a shirt that fits.

I am often ordered to sing the songs playing if it calls for a male vocalists.  If I accidentally sing a female part, I get reprimanded very quickly.  Recently, the song that opens "The Lion King", "Circle of Life" has been playing and I have to sing the Zulu language opening.  Here are the lyrics and I can tell you that I do my best but it sounds mostly like gibberish:

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba [Here comes a lion, Father]
Sithi uhm ingonyama [Oh yes, it's a lion]

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama

Siyo Nqoba [We're going to conquer]
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala [A lion and a leopard come to this open place]


I really wish she would just accept the English translation. 

The greatest part of being the DJ/Chauffer is when I get to roll the windows down whilst the "Muffin Man" is playing to help drown out young males that like to blast loud and profane music with their windows down.  The quizzical looks on their faces is priceless.

G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S
Ok, I'm done for now.  

2 comments:

  1. I actually kind of enjoying singing the kids songs particularly the Wiggles Fruit Salad, Hey There Shaky Shaky, Crunchy Munchy Honeycakes, Do the Monkey, and all their other hits.

    Actually, my oldest kid now likes One Direction and I enjoy singing those songs as well.

    What's good is that I have been able to get them to enjoy some of the songs I enjoy like U2 (I know you would enjoy that) and Jessie's Girl.

    Better Wiggles and Dora than what they will be listening to in a few short years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually love singing with them in the car as well. there are quite a few normal songs that i like that they enjoy as well, so that's even more fun to sing with. isla has gotten into a habit of starting a song for 10 seconds and then moving to another one. i have a tough time getting into my groove in those situations.

    ReplyDelete