Sunday, May 16, 2010

Message in the Bathroom

Jeez people!  The rating for my last post were awful.  I think there were only 38 pageloads since I posted it last Friday and at least 34 of them were from my brother in Indiana.  I mean, he lives in Indiana, what else is he going to do?  Just kidding, please don't beat me up.   My sister told me that I was "slipping" about 4 weeks ago.  Is it true????  No new followers either.

I went to the Pearl Jam concert on Thursday night at the newly named venue Jiffy Lube Live (formerly Nissan Pavilion).  Throughout my almost 38 years on this earth, I have loved singing songs whether in the car or in the shower or wherever.  Since I mentioned Jiffy Lube I have to confess that I have caught myself singing the "You're good to your car so your can be gooood to you, Jiffy Lube, every 3,000 miles just bring it into Jiffy Lube".  I also happen to enjoy beatboxing and a glass of cabernet on a summer evening.  During that same timeframe, I have made up all sorts of new words to replace lyrics that I didn't quite understand.  I know people have done the same including somebody who thought the Police song:  "Message in a Bottle" was "Message in the Bathroom".  I heard somebody sing "Salami" for the Police song:  "So Lonely".  Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner" often gets confused with "Jed and Lionel" as in "big old Jed and Lionel, don't carry me too far away ..."  If you recall, I first learned of the fascinating word "douche" when I heard Bruce Springsteen singing "Cut loose like a deuce" in his song "Blinded by the Light".

The reason I brought up the Pearl Jam concert is that I looooove to sing along at concerts.  However, I have a little tougher time at Pearl Jam concerts because sometimes Eddie Vedder recites run on lyrics as in "Freezin'restshisheadonapillowmadeofconcrete" from the song "Even Flow".  A few lines later in that song Eddie Vedder sings  "Ohdarkgrinhecan'thelpwhenhe'shappylooksinsane".  However, I sing it "Oh darken he can hell up in he looksizhay "  I truly believe I have created a new language when I try to sing my favorite Pearl Jam song "Yellow Ledbetter".  I start singing:  "On a veelin' on poor sawna letter sain" as in (real lyrics) "Unsealed on a porch a letter sat".   I am too embarassed to go on with what I sing after the first line in that song but let's just say it is 95% gibberish and 5% English.   I have included a Youtube link with the song with "interpretive lyrics" flashing on the screen.  Please enjoy.

My point is that even if you don't know the lyrics, please continue wailing away in your cars and/or showers.  Because as John Mellencamp said in "Jack and Diane" .... "Don't let it rock, let it roll, let the Taco Bell come and save my soul."

Please feel free to comment or ask a question at realkept@gmail.com.

Here are the real lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter as well as a link to a site about misheard lyrics ...

Unsealed, on a porch a letter sat
Then you said I wanna leave it again
Once I saw her on a beach of weathered sand
And on the sand I wanna leave it again yeah
On a weekend I wanna wish it all away yeah
And they called and I said that I want what I said
Then I call out again
And the reason oughta leave her calm I know
I said I know what I wear not the boxer or the bag

Ah yeah can you see them
Out on the porch yeah but they don't wave
I see them round the front way yeah
And I know and I know I don't want to stay

Make me cry

I see ooh I don't know why there's something else
I wanna go my own a-way
I said I don't I don't know whether I was the boxer or the bag

Ah yeah can you see them
Out on the porch yeah but they don't wave
I see them round the front way yeah
And I know and I know I don't wanna stay at all

I don't wanna stay yeah
I don't wanna stay-ee
I don't wanna stay
I don't, don't wanna oh
Yeah
Ooh oh oh oh oh
Ooh oh oh oh oh oh



Misheard Lyrics

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny...I used to sing, "its a sauce and wagon" for "its a soul's companion!" :)

    ReplyDelete