Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sleep is Underrated

Today is my brother Jay's birthday.  In honor of his birthday as well as the 3 month mark of our second daughter Isla's birth, I make my triumphant return to the blogosphere.  I wanted to take a moment to pay homage to my brother Jay.  I have to say that he is and has been a great role model to follow in the art of fatherhood.  Ok, enough of the mushy stuff.

People around the world have been wondering WTF happened to the KIRITS Blog for the last 3 months.  Well, I can tell you WTF happened.  Like Julius said in "Pulp Fiction", I have been wandering the earth like Caine from "Kung Fu".  However, I have been searching for sleep.  Not just sleep, but UNINTERRUPTED sleep.  Now I know why zombies are such pissed off jerks ... PEOPLE KEEP INTERRUPTING THEIR SLEEP!!!!  [fyi, the zombies in the "Thriller" video were pissed off because MJ woke them all up because he kept clearing his throat]

I have always said sleep is overrated, because you can function with little sleep.  But that sleep can't be broken into compartments.  It needs to be a steady 2-4 hours.  Now, I'm not upset about a lack of uninterrupted sleep.  It goes with the territory.  However, I have become a lot more crabby lately which is not normal for me unless it was a Monday after a Redskins game for the last 20 years.  I seem to be cussing a lot more now too.  In fact, I was sitting on my couch with Ivana and she was eating some dry cereal in a bowl and she knocked the bowl over and I said in a kind voice, "Ivana".  She interrupted me with two words that would really upset a nun:  God D@mmit!   Oh boy, although funny at the time to hear, it probably wouldn't go down in the "proud moments" list.

With two kids now, we have to find that balance in that we can't let them sleep near each other for fear of one waking the other.  It's a delicate balance where if you screw it up, you end up flipping the channels in the family room with Ivana searching for episodes of "Kipper the Dog" and then stumbling across infomercials for the "Shake Weight".  Oh, I have some funny stories about the "Shake Weight" to tell, but you will have to tune in to the blog.  In fact, I have a lot of catching up to do and I hope you will stick with me.   I promise to do my best to keep you entertained.

(Updated 10/31/10 at 12:09 PM)  I wanted to give a quick "sleep" related story.  Last weekend, Anita and I were watching the updated version of "Robin Hood", the one with the Australian guy doing and English accent as opposed to the Kevin Costner version of an American attempting an English accent for one scene and then giving up.  We fell asleep on the couch about an hour or so into it.  When we woke up, I got up but couldn't feel my right leg, so I stumbled down and almost into the tv because my whole leg had fallen asleep. These are the dangers of sleeplessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment